Sunday, December 14, 2008

Evidence Based pt. 1

Faith is the evidence of things unseen (HEB. 11:1). But to some it isn't. Just because some one believes in God doesn't mean that's evidence. We all know there are lunatics in every group and every corner of the room.
In order to assure myself that I have not been brainwashed, misled, bamboozled by the massive religious powerhouse I've allowed myself to let go of all the "evidence" accumulated over the years via my emotions. I dismiss all miracles as mere misunderstood natural occurrences. I step back and demand evidence of God in the natural world. If there is a loving God I deserve some sign.
It's all about the neurotransmitters when it comes to emotions.

"Human thoughts and emotions emerge from exceedingly
complex interconnections of physical entities within the brain."

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, p. 14

Therefore, there is no reason to conclude a soul or Spirit connection to our emotions since emotions are obviously, and entirely, chemicals.

So, how did we get here? Sure, evolution has some holes in it, but, it has a lot less holes than God creating everything with his Word. There's no evidence of that ever happening. There's no physical evidence of God at all. The trees are nice and the flowers are pretty, but we have answers and explanations for all of that. We don't need to fear the Sun God. We know why seasons change. It's Nature, not God's intervention.

But when the dust settles that pull inside me still tugs. It doesn't pull my mind (intellect) or my heart (emotions). It's not the thirst for knowledge or the quenching of an addiction but the longing to be whole that draws me to God.

Who is God? Better yet, who is man? Because if I am merely a lump of electricity than the former question needs not be answered. But if a part of me cannot be seen by naked eye or microscope than maybe man cannot find half of existence on its own.

____________________________________
Websites to check out:

1 comment:

designslave said...

Richard Dawkins is a jerk...